Rice is commonly enjoyed around the world, but one glaring issue with it is its high carbohydrate content. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, a single cup of cooked rice contains a whopping 44.51 grams of carbohydrates,1which is well above the limit if you’re following a ketogenic diet. With this in mind, what options do you have? One healthy alternative is cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower is a nutritious vegetable, and can be a great substitute for regular rice. I encourage you to try this moringa “rice” recipe from Mercola’s very own Rachel Saenz. In addition to cauliflower it also contains garlic, mushrooms, spinach and other ingredients. Not only is it nutritious, but delicious and fulfilling as well. I suggest that rice lovers give this a try.
Mouthwatering Moringa Cauliflower Fried ‘Rice’
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 to 13 minutes
- 4 cups of cauliflower rice
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup of spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon of moringa powder
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms, then sauté until tender, about two to three minutes.
- Add the garlic and the cauliflower rice, then sauté until the cauliflower rice is tender, approximately two minutes.
- Add chicken broth, moringa powder, salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly to ensure all ingredients are combined. Cook for three to four minutes.
- Make a well in the center and crack the two eggs in the skillet. Scramble the eggs into the dish.
- Mix in the spinach and cook for an additional three to four minutes.
Why Cauliflower Rice Is a Healthy Substitute for Regular Rice
Since it is a cruciferous vegetable, cauliflower happens to be one of the healthiest foods you can eat. It contains a wide array of nutrients and antioxidants that may help:
- Reduce the risk of cancer: Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a powerful sulfuric compound that has been studied and discovered to help kill cancer cells. In one study, sulforaphane (combined with turmeric) has been shown to help inhibit the growth of human prostate cancer cells.2
- Manage inflammation: Cauliflower is shown to have various anti-inflammatory compounds that can help keep inflammation in check, such as indole-3-carbinol or I3C. This specific compound operates at the genetic level, which may help prevent inflammatory responses at the foundational level.3
- Boost heart health: Aside from helping reduce your risk of cancer, sulforaphane has been shown to help improve blood pressure and kidney function.4
- Improve brain health: Cauliflower contains choline, a type of B vitamin that plays a role in brain development.