1) Food Industry Dictates Nutrition Policy
CNN covers the benefits of a low-meat diet, while at the same time outlining the ties between the food industry, the USDA, and bad nutrition.
2) FDA Urged to Ban Feeding of Chicken Feces to Cattle
A coalition that includes Consumers Union and the Center for Science in the Public Interest, along with McDonald’s Corp. is asking the FDA to prohibit the feeding of poultry litter to cattle
3) The Dark Side of Dairies: A Broken System Leaves Immigrant Workers Invisible – and in Danger
Milk may have a wholesome commercial image, but the dairies that produce most of the nation’s supply aren’t always healthy places to work. Dairy workers are injured at a much higher rate than other workers in the U.S. To make matters worse, federal labor laws that protect workers in other industries and give them a voice don’t cover dairy workers.
4) Can Biotech Food Cure World Hunger?
The New York Times hosts a debate between experts for and against GM agriculture.
5) 80+ Groups and 38,000+ Reach Out to Senate Finance Committee Against Siddiqui Nomination
Over 80 groups sent a letter urging the rejection of Islam Siddiqui as Chief Agriculture Negotiator at the office of the United States Trade Representative.