Why We Should All Eat More Organic Food
- Organic foods, especially raw or non-processed, contain higher levels of beta carotene, vitamins C, D and E, health-promoting polyphenols, cancer-fighting antioxidants, flavonoids that help ward off heart disease, essential fatty acids, and essential minerals.
- On average, organic is 25% more nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals than products derived from industrial agriculture. Since on the average, organic food's shelf price is only 20% higher than chemical food, this makes it actually cheaper, gram for gram, than chemical food, even ignoring the astronomical hidden costs (damage to health, climate, environment, and government subsidies) of industrial food production. Learn more...
- Levels of antioxidants in milk from organic cattle are between 50% and 80% higher than normal milk. Organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, onions and lettuce have between 20% and 40% more nutrients than non-organic foods. Learn more...
- Organic food contains qualitatively higher levels of essential minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium), that are severely depleted in chemical foods grown on pesticide and nitrate fertilizer-abused soil. UK and US government statistics indicate that levels of trace minerals in (non-organic) fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991.
Organic Food is Pure Food, Free of Chemical Additives
- Organic food doesn't contain food additives, flavor enhancers (like MSG), artificial sweeteners (like aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup), contaminants (like mercury) or preservatives (like sodium nitrate), that can cause health problems.
- Eating organic has the potential to lower the incidence of autism, learning disorders, diabetes, cancer, coronary heart disease, allergies, osteoporosis, migraines, dementia, and hyperactivity.
Organic Food Is Safer
- Organic food doesn't contain pesticides. More than 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming and residues remain on non-organic food even after washing. Children are especially vulnerable to pesticide exposure. One class of pesticides, endocrine disruptors, may be responsible for early puberty and breast cancer. Pesticides are linked to asthma and cancer.
- Organic food isn't genetically modified. Under organic standards, genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are prohibited.
- Organic animals aren't given drugs. Organic farming standards prohibit the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically modified vaccines in farm animals. Hormone-laced beef and dairy consumption is correlated with increased rates of breast, testis and prostate cancers.
- Organic animals aren't fed slaughterhouse waste, blood, or manure. Eating organic reduces the risks of CJD, the human version of mad cow disease, as well as Alzheimer's.
- Organic animals aren't fed arsenic.
- Organic animals aren't fed byproducts of corn ethanol production (which increases the rate of E. coli contamination).
- Organic crops aren't fertilized with toxic sewage sludge or coal waste, or irrigated with E. coli contaminated sewage water.
- Organic food isn't irradiated. Cats fed a diet of irradiated food got multiple sclerosis within 3-4 months.
- Organic food contains less illness-inducing bacteria. Organic chicken is free of salmonella and has a reduced incidence of campylobacter.
- Organic dairy has environmental benefits: Shades of Green: Quantifying the Benefits of Organic Dairy Production
When comparing prices in the grocery aisles, the organic version of particular items is often 20% on the average more expensive, but if you make a pledge to eat more organic, you'll likely save money overall by eating out at restaurants less often, packing your lunch, and cooking from scratch. Learn more.
Essays on Organics
Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic by Ronnie Cummins
Local and Organic Food and Farming: The Gold Standard by Will Allen, Ronnie Cummins & Kate Duesterberg
- 03/06/14 - A Golden Torch: Mullein's Healing Light
- 03/05/14 - Food Injustice: The Revolution Starts In The Garden
- 03/05/14 - 5 Easy Ways to Reduce Clothing Waste and Save Money
- 03/05/14 - U.S. Farmers Report Widespread GM Crop Contamination
- 03/04/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Monsanto's 'Science' Doesn't Add Up
- 03/04/14 - Detox: How People Power Is Cleaning up Fashion
- 03/03/14 - The Clothing Conundrum: Safe, Warm Winter Dressing
- 03/03/14 - Why the 'Non-GMO' Label Is Organic's Frenemy
- 02/26/14 - Appearance by Agribusiness Executive at Organic Conference Stirs Controversy
- 02/26/14 - Want to Avoid GMOs? Look for This Label
- 02/25/14 - All About Growing Onions
- 02/24/14 - 'Sound Science' Deception
- 02/24/14 - How to Easily Detect a Certified Organic Farm
- 02/24/14 - Petaluma Slaughterhouse Recall Hurting Bay Area Organic Beef Ranchers
- 02/21/14 - Tell Your Representative: Please Support the Saving America’s Pollinators Act (H.R. 2692)
- 02/21/14 - Organic Grass Fed Cows May Provide Healthier Beef, but Consumers Are Not Keen on Taste
- 02/20/14 - Toxins in Huggies and Pampers Aren't What You Want to Put near Baby's Skin
- 02/20/14 - National Bee Action Week Draws Attention to the Plight of the Pollinators
- 02/20/14 - Health Basics: The Label 'All Natural' Means Absolutely Nothing
- 02/20/14 - Arizona, Hawaii and Maryland Push Forward on GMO Labeling Laws
- 02/19/14 - Oregon Seeds Sow Worries as GMO, Organic Crops Coexist
- 02/19/14 - Marketing, Sales, Public Relations for Natural, Organic and Sustainable Products
- 02/14/14 - California-Grown Organic Lundberg Rice Shows near-Zero Heavy Metals; Case Closed on 'Naturally Occurring' Excuse for Lead in Rice Products
- 02/13/14 - Bill Banning Sale of Cosmetics Containing Microbeads to Be Proposed
- 02/12/14 - The Seeds of a New Generation
- 02/11/14 - Government Labels Those Who Grow Their Own Food 'Extremists'
- 02/10/14 - New Campaign Debunks Misleading 'Natural' Labels, Highlights Organics Benefits
- 02/07/14 - Burdock Does It All
- 02/07/14 - 10 Popular Energy-Draining, Weight-Boosting Foods
- 02/07/14 - Join One of these Five Home Depot ‘Swarms’ to Help Save the Bees!
- 02/06/14 - Organic Food: Who Can We Trust?
- 02/04/14 - Chemical Cotton
- 02/04/14 - Poor Hispanics, Blacks Highly Exposed to Household Chemicals
- 02/04/14 - Gruma Corp to FDA: Yes, It IS Your Job to Determine if GMOs Belong in All-Natural Products
- 02/04/14 - Organic Food Campaign Tackles Natural Claims, GMOs, Antibiotics
- 01/31/14 - Feds Threatening Michigan Family Farm with Armed Raid
- 01/31/14 - WHITEWAVE WATCH: Former Dean Foods Subsidiary Sells Corporate-Owned Factory Dairy
- 01/28/14 - Raw Milk Sales on the Rise -- No Illness Seen
- 01/27/14 - The Elders of Organic Farming
- 01/24/14 - Grocery Manufacturers Want Foods with GMOs to Be Labeled as 'Natural'
- 01/24/14 - Garlic: An All-Around Health Boosting Herb
- 01/23/14 - Unlock the True Potential of Vegetables
- 01/22/14 - Demand Grows for Hogs That Are Raised Humanely Outdoors
- 01/22/14 - Under Pressure, Whole Foods Agrees to Stop Selling Non-Organic Produce Grown in Sewage Sludge
- 01/21/14 - The Paleo Diet: Eating like a Caveman
- 01/21/14 - Critics: To Take Vitamin Supplements or Not?
- 01/21/14 - Michael Pollan Explains What's Wrong with the Paleo Diet
- 01/16/14 - Battle Lines Drawn over Labeling of GMO Foods and "All Natural" Claims
- 01/16/14 - The Whole LOAF
- 01/15/14 - Wait, We Inject Antibiotics into Eggs for Organic Chicken?
- 01/15/14 - Sustainable and Organic Ag Programs Retained in Congress 2014 Funding Package
- 01/15/14 - Toxic Chemical Residues Found in Children's Clothes Made by Major Brands Including Disney, Gap and Primark
- 01/15/14 - Good News/Bad News: Some Phthalates down, Some Up
- 01/15/14 - EPA's Fast-Track Approval Process for Pesticides Raises Health Concerns
- 01/15/14 - Tell the USDA: No 'Coexistence' with Monsanto!
PDF About Organic Food
Educate yourself, family, and friends, with this new pamphlet about organic food created by the University of Minnesota.
Download the PDF here: What is Organic Food and Why Should I Care?
- Organic Directories
- Find Organic Food Stores
- Which Organic Milk Brands Are Best for the Environment and Animal Welfare?
- Confused About Organic Wine?
- Why You Need to Buy Organic Seeds
- Where to Buy Organic and Non-GE Seeds
- The Organic Center: Communicating the verifiable benefits of organic farming and products to society. Visit them here!
- Co-op Grocer Magazine's Online Guide to Starting a Food Co-op
- Good Growing: Why Organic Farming Works - University of Nebraska Press