A National Petition: The Organic Solution to the Climate Crisis
Given the fact that the direct (CO2, nitrous oxide, and methane) and indirect (deforestation, draining of wetlands) greenhouse gas emissions from factory farms and chemical and energy-intensive industrial agriculture constitute the majority of greenhouse gases,
We call on U.S. elected officials, political candidates, and regulatory agencies to support and implement the following three public policies:
1: Implement Truth in Labeling
Give consumers the opportunity to freely choose sustainable, climate-friendly, humane, and healthy products by requiring GMO, pesticide, antibiotic, hormone, CAFO, GHG, and country-of-origin labels on foods and products sold in grocery stores and restaurants. At the same time we must safeguard consumer choice by maintaining strict certification and labeling standards for products which are organic, Fair Trade, or genuinely healthy and sustainable.
2: Stop Subsidizing Destructive Policies
Stop subsidizing industrial food and farm production, fossil fuels, and resource wars, and instead use these funds to promote and qualitatively fast-track clean energy, a green jobs economy, and organic farming. It is currently estimated that U.S. taxpayer subsidies to the fossil fuel and industrial food and farm sectors amounts to $60 billion a year, while wars for oil and strategic resources in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us $200 billion annually. The money wasted on wars and industrial agriculture by the U.S. alone is enough to fast-track the conversion of the U.S. and global economy to organic agriculture and clean energy and save the world from climate catastrophe.
3: Build an Organic and Green Economy
Begin the phase-out of industrial agriculture's most energy, GHG-intensive, and hazardous practices. These practices include the massive over-production of livestock and animal products, Genetically Modified (GM) crops and biofuels, toxic pesticides, chemical fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, sewage sludge on farm lands, and slaughterhouse waste in animal feed. Ban factory farm CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations) and all inhumane confinement of farm animals.
Background Notes to the Food Agenda Petition
- To stabilize our already chaotic climate and to avoid catastrophic global warming of 2-7 degrees centigrade or more, we must reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) pollution from our current unsustainable global level of 389 parts CO2 per million to 350 ppm or below. Otherwise, we face massive crop failures, starvation, water shortages, pestilence, and unending wars for dwindling natural resources.
- In practical terms, this means reducing current fossil fuel use (especially in the food, transport, housing, military, and utilities sectors) by 90% by 2050; while sequestering or storing as much CO2 as possible in the soil through organic soil management and reforestation.
- By the year 2020, the U.S. needs to generate at least 30% of its energy from solar, wind, and other renewable sources (currently at 6%, while Denmark is at 20%).
- By 2020, 25% of our food needs to be certified organic (currently it is 4%), while drastically reducing the most-devastating greenhouse gases spewed out by industrial food and farming, methane and nitrous oxide.
- Only 1% of the U.S.'s 435 million acres of cultivated farmland are currently certified organic. In addition to drastically reducing fossil fuel energy use and slashing GHG emissions, each acre of farm, pasture, or range land brought under organic cultivation or management can safely sequester or store the equivalent of 7,000 pounds of climate-destabilizing CO2 per year.
- If all of U.S. farmland (not to mention pasture) were managed organically, we would be able to sequester almost 25% of all current GHG emissions, while significantly reducing fossil fuel use.
- Click Here to Sign the Food Agenda Petition Now!
Climate Catastrophe: Surviving the 21st Century
by Ronnie Cummins and Will Allen
A Conversation with Anna Lappé on Climate Change, Industrial Agriculture, and Conversion to a Climate Friendly Food System
food agenda Materials
- OCA Director Ronnie Cummins' Essential Reads on Agriculture and Climate Change
- Take a Bite out of Climate Change Fact Sheets
- Cool Farming: Climate Impacts of Agriculture and Mitigation Potential (PDF)
- Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
- Fighting Global Warming at the Farmer's Market PDF
Ag & Climate News
- 12/03/13 - Since When Is the EPA Beholden to Big Ag?
- 12/02/13 - The Killing Floor: Where Your Non-Organic Meat Comes From
- 11/27/13 - Turkey at $1.38 a Pound Sounds Great. Until You Think about What That Means
- 11/26/13 - Meet Richard Berman, Whose Front Groups, Willful Distortions and Hate-Mongering Has Poisoned U.S. Politics
- 11/26/13 - American Meat: A Look at Sustainable Farming in the US
- 11/25/13 - World Is Watching Mora County Battle vs. Fracking
- 11/22/13 - Changing the Global Food Narrative
- 11/20/13 - Imagining the Post-Antibiotics Future
- 11/20/13 - Tell CEO Rod Brenneman to Get Antibiotics Out of Butterball Turkeys!
- 11/20/13 - Antibiotic-Resistant Bugs Turn up Again in Turkey Meat
- 11/20/13 - Is the Butterball Turkey Shortage for Real?
- 11/18/13 - Prozac, Arsenic and Beer in Your Turkey? 9 Creepy Things to Know about Your Holiday Meal
- 11/18/13 - Flying the Coop: Antibiotic Resistance Spreads to Birds, Other Wildlife
- 11/18/13 - King Amendment to Farm Bill Could Be End to Humane Farming Standards
- 11/14/13 - How Drugs given to Humans and Livestock May Be Creating Superbugs in Nature
- 11/13/13 - Unintended Consequences: US Ethanol Revolution Causes 'Ecological Disaster'
- 11/12/13 - Hello Warsaw, This Is Haiyan Calling
- 11/12/13 - Push for Ethanol Production Carries Costs to Land
- 11/12/13 - Worlds Apart: Indigenous Leaders Abandon Faith in UN to Find Climate Solution
- 11/12/13 - Philippine Rep Makes Plea for 'Global Solidarity' to Fight 'Climate Madness'
- 11/11/13 - Latest News on Divestment from Fossil Fuels
- 11/08/13 - As Canadian Province Puts Fracking on Hold, Will Others Follow?
- 11/07/13 - Greenhouse Gases Have Soared to Record Levels: WMO
- 11/07/13 - Climate Summit: Don't Turn Farmers into 'Climate Smart' Carbon Traders!
- 11/06/13 - Against the Odds, Three Colorado Communities Protect Themselves from Fracking
- 11/06/13 - Exclusive: Cargill to Change Beef Labeling in Wake of 'Pink Slime' Furor
- 10/31/13 - Ractopamine: the Meat Additive on Your Plate That's Banned Almost Everywhere but America
- 10/30/13 - USDA Plan to Speed up Poultry-processing Lines Could Increase Risk of Bird Abuse
- 10/30/13 - U.S. Says It Won’t Back New International Coal-Fired Power Plants
- 10/30/13 - How Science Is Telling Us All to Revolt