A National Petition: The Organic Solution to the Climate Crisis
Given the fact that the direct (CO2, nitrous oxide, and methane) and indirect (deforestation, draining of wetlands) greenhouse gas emissions from factory farms and chemical and energy-intensive industrial agriculture constitute the majority of greenhouse gases,
We call on U.S. elected officials, political candidates, and regulatory agencies to support and implement the following three public policies:
1: Implement Truth in Labeling
Give consumers the opportunity to freely choose sustainable, climate-friendly, humane, and healthy products by requiring GMO, pesticide, antibiotic, hormone, CAFO, GHG, and country-of-origin labels on foods and products sold in grocery stores and restaurants. At the same time we must safeguard consumer choice by maintaining strict certification and labeling standards for products which are organic, Fair Trade, or genuinely healthy and sustainable.
2: Stop Subsidizing Destructive Policies
Stop subsidizing industrial food and farm production, fossil fuels, and resource wars, and instead use these funds to promote and qualitatively fast-track clean energy, a green jobs economy, and organic farming. It is currently estimated that U.S. taxpayer subsidies to the fossil fuel and industrial food and farm sectors amounts to $60 billion a year, while wars for oil and strategic resources in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us $200 billion annually. The money wasted on wars and industrial agriculture by the U.S. alone is enough to fast-track the conversion of the U.S. and global economy to organic agriculture and clean energy and save the world from climate catastrophe.
3: Build an Organic and Green Economy
Begin the phase-out of industrial agriculture's most energy, GHG-intensive, and hazardous practices. These practices include the massive over-production of livestock and animal products, Genetically Modified (GM) crops and biofuels, toxic pesticides, chemical fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, sewage sludge on farm lands, and slaughterhouse waste in animal feed. Ban factory farm CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations) and all inhumane confinement of farm animals.
Background Notes to the Food Agenda Petition
- To stabilize our already chaotic climate and to avoid catastrophic global warming of 2-7 degrees centigrade or more, we must reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) pollution from our current unsustainable global level of 389 parts CO2 per million to 350 ppm or below. Otherwise, we face massive crop failures, starvation, water shortages, pestilence, and unending wars for dwindling natural resources.
- In practical terms, this means reducing current fossil fuel use (especially in the food, transport, housing, military, and utilities sectors) by 90% by 2050; while sequestering or storing as much CO2 as possible in the soil through organic soil management and reforestation.
- By the year 2020, the U.S. needs to generate at least 30% of its energy from solar, wind, and other renewable sources (currently at 6%, while Denmark is at 20%).
- By 2020, 25% of our food needs to be certified organic (currently it is 4%), while drastically reducing the most-devastating greenhouse gases spewed out by industrial food and farming, methane and nitrous oxide.
- Only 1% of the U.S.'s 435 million acres of cultivated farmland are currently certified organic. In addition to drastically reducing fossil fuel energy use and slashing GHG emissions, each acre of farm, pasture, or range land brought under organic cultivation or management can safely sequester or store the equivalent of 7,000 pounds of climate-destabilizing CO2 per year.
- If all of U.S. farmland (not to mention pasture) were managed organically, we would be able to sequester almost 25% of all current GHG emissions, while significantly reducing fossil fuel use.
- Click Here to Sign the Food Agenda Petition Now!
Climate Catastrophe: Surviving the 21st Century
by Ronnie Cummins and Will Allen
A Conversation with Anna Lappé on Climate Change, Industrial Agriculture, and Conversion to a Climate Friendly Food System
food agenda Materials
- OCA Director Ronnie Cummins' Essential Reads on Agriculture and Climate Change
- Take a Bite out of Climate Change Fact Sheets
- Cool Farming: Climate Impacts of Agriculture and Mitigation Potential (PDF)
- Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
- Fighting Global Warming at the Farmer's Market PDF
Ag & Climate News
- 10/24/14 - World Bank and UN Carbon Offset Scheme 'Complicit' in Genocidal Land Grabs - NGOs
- 10/24/14 - 2,000 Medical Professionals Ask Trader Joe’s to End Sale of Meat Raised on Antibiotics
- 10/24/14 - EU Leaders Agree to Cut Greenhouse Gas Emissions by at Least 40 Percent by 2030
- 10/23/14 - Environmental Justice and Climate Change
- 10/23/14 - 7 Things McDonald's Really Wants You to Forget
- 10/20/14 - Climate Campaigners Ramp up Pressure on Fossil Fuel Industry
- 10/14/14 - Farmaceuticals: The Drugs Fed to Farm Animals
- 10/14/14 - Regenerative Agriculture Is the Answer to Save Your Health
- 10/14/14 - EPA's Next Target -- American Dentists Who Are Mercury Polluters
- 10/14/14 - Bacon Is the New Veal: Why the Cruelty in the Pork Industry Must Be Stopped
- 10/14/14 - Perdue Forced to Remove “Humanely Raised” Labels from Chicken
- 10/13/14 - Republicans Flail about Looking for Alternative to Climate Denialism
- 10/09/14 - Real Solutions from Agriculture at the People's Climate March
- 10/08/14 - Why Lots Of Grass-Fed Beef Sold In U.S. Comes From Down Under
- 10/08/14 - Take the 4F ‘Factory Farm Free Friday’ Pledge!
- 10/08/14 - Are Your Chicken Nuggets Ruining Your Antibiotic Ointment?
- 10/06/14 - Fish Failing to Adapt to Rising Carbon Dioxide Levels in Ocean
- 10/06/14 - Oceans Getting Hotter Than Anybody Realized
- 10/06/14 - 'Symphony of the Soil' Extols the Importance and Mystery of Soil
- 10/06/14 - Part 2: Kumi Naidoo of Greenpeace on Climate Change and War, Lessons from Anti-Apartheid Struggle
- 10/02/14 - War and Climate Change: Time to Connect the Dots
- 10/01/14 - UN: Only Small Farmers and Agroecology Can Feed the World
- 10/01/14 - Livestock Industry's Antibiotic Use Protected by Court Ruling Claiming There Isn't an 'Official' Finding of Health Risk
- 10/01/14 - Switching from Cars to Public Transportation Could Save the World $100 Trillion and Reduce Pollution by 40%
- 10/01/14 - Butterball Goes 'Humane' for Thanksgiving. Really?
- 09/30/14 - Take a Stand against Factory Farming by Signing the 4F Pledge
- 09/29/14 - The Carbon Underground: Reversing Global Warming
- 09/29/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Food at the Table. Finally.
- 09/29/14 - The Bioethicist Turned Butcher
- 09/29/14 - Chemical Makers, Energy Companies Tell EPA Not to Mandate Fracking Fluid Disclosure