A National Petition: The Organic Solution to the Climate Crisis
Given the fact that the direct (CO2, nitrous oxide, and methane) and indirect (deforestation, draining of wetlands) greenhouse gas emissions from factory farms and chemical and energy-intensive industrial agriculture constitute the majority of greenhouse gases,
We call on U.S. elected officials, political candidates, and regulatory agencies to support and implement the following three public policies:
1: Implement Truth in Labeling
Give consumers the opportunity to freely choose sustainable, climate-friendly, humane, and healthy products by requiring GMO, pesticide, antibiotic, hormone, CAFO, GHG, and country-of-origin labels on foods and products sold in grocery stores and restaurants. At the same time we must safeguard consumer choice by maintaining strict certification and labeling standards for products which are organic, Fair Trade, or genuinely healthy and sustainable.
2: Stop Subsidizing Destructive Policies
Stop subsidizing industrial food and farm production, fossil fuels, and resource wars, and instead use these funds to promote and qualitatively fast-track clean energy, a green jobs economy, and organic farming. It is currently estimated that U.S. taxpayer subsidies to the fossil fuel and industrial food and farm sectors amounts to $60 billion a year, while wars for oil and strategic resources in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us $200 billion annually. The money wasted on wars and industrial agriculture by the U.S. alone is enough to fast-track the conversion of the U.S. and global economy to organic agriculture and clean energy and save the world from climate catastrophe.
3: Build an Organic and Green Economy
Begin the phase-out of industrial agriculture's most energy, GHG-intensive, and hazardous practices. These practices include the massive over-production of livestock and animal products, Genetically Modified (GM) crops and biofuels, toxic pesticides, chemical fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, sewage sludge on farm lands, and slaughterhouse waste in animal feed. Ban factory farm CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations) and all inhumane confinement of farm animals.
Background Notes to the Food Agenda Petition
- To stabilize our already chaotic climate and to avoid catastrophic global warming of 2-7 degrees centigrade or more, we must reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) pollution from our current unsustainable global level of 389 parts CO2 per million to 350 ppm or below. Otherwise, we face massive crop failures, starvation, water shortages, pestilence, and unending wars for dwindling natural resources.
- In practical terms, this means reducing current fossil fuel use (especially in the food, transport, housing, military, and utilities sectors) by 90% by 2050; while sequestering or storing as much CO2 as possible in the soil through organic soil management and reforestation.
- By the year 2020, the U.S. needs to generate at least 30% of its energy from solar, wind, and other renewable sources (currently at 6%, while Denmark is at 20%).
- By 2020, 25% of our food needs to be certified organic (currently it is 4%), while drastically reducing the most-devastating greenhouse gases spewed out by industrial food and farming, methane and nitrous oxide.
- Only 1% of the U.S.'s 435 million acres of cultivated farmland are currently certified organic. In addition to drastically reducing fossil fuel energy use and slashing GHG emissions, each acre of farm, pasture, or range land brought under organic cultivation or management can safely sequester or store the equivalent of 7,000 pounds of climate-destabilizing CO2 per year.
- If all of U.S. farmland (not to mention pasture) were managed organically, we would be able to sequester almost 25% of all current GHG emissions, while significantly reducing fossil fuel use.
- Click Here to Sign the Food Agenda Petition Now!
Climate Catastrophe: Surviving the 21st Century
by Ronnie Cummins and Will Allen
A Conversation with Anna Lappé on Climate Change, Industrial Agriculture, and Conversion to a Climate Friendly Food System
food agenda Materials
- OCA Director Ronnie Cummins' Essential Reads on Agriculture and Climate Change
- Take a Bite out of Climate Change Fact Sheets
- Cool Farming: Climate Impacts of Agriculture and Mitigation Potential (PDF)
- Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
- Fighting Global Warming at the Farmer's Market PDF
Ag & Climate News
- 08/28/14 - Vandana Shiva to March with Organic Consumers Association ‘Cook Organic, Not the Planet’ Activists at the People’s Climate March in New York
- 08/28/14 - Hillary Clinton is Just Plain Wrong on GMOs
- 08/28/14 - A Climate for Change: A Solution Conservatives Could Accept
- 08/28/14 - U.N. Draft Report Lists Unchecked Emissions’ Risks
- 08/27/14 - Combating Climate Change through Soil Science
- 08/27/14 - Carbon Sequestration-Holistic Management-Bibliography
- 08/27/14 - Monbiot Rebuttal: Carbon Sequestration through Planned Rotational Grazing
- 08/27/14 - More Crops per Drop: No-till Farming Combats Drought
- 08/27/14 - Secret Internal Document Urging Closure of California Nuclear Plant Revealed
- 08/27/14 - Climate Crisis Connects Us, Climate Justice Demands Unity
- 08/27/14 - Draft of Upcoming IPCC Report Presents Stark View of the Future as Climate Change Rages On
- 08/27/14 - NMSU Researcher's Carbon Sequestration Work Highlighted In "The Soil Will Save Us"
- 08/27/14 - Scientists Discover Hundreds of Methane Leaks Bubbling from the Floor of the Atlantic Ocean
- 08/26/14 - What the Anti-Fracking Movement Brings to the Climate Movement
- 08/25/14 - Pollution, World Hunger, Water Scarcity, and Carbon Sequestration
- 08/23/14 - Why George Monbiot Is Wrong: Grazing Livestock Can Save the World
- 08/22/14 - Kerry Pushes 'Climate-Smart Agriculture'
- 08/21/14 - Aporkalypse Now: Pig-Killing Virus Could Mean the End of Bacon
- 08/20/14 - Kochonomics: Rigging the System at the Local Level
- 08/20/14 - The Overlooked Plight of Factory Farm Workers
- 08/20/14 - EPA Launches Probe of Alleged Mo. Pollution by Tyson
- 08/20/14 - Jamie Oliver Launches Latest Food Offensive
- 08/20/14 - An Open Letter to George Monbiot
- 08/17/14 - New GMO Poised for Approval despite Public Outcry
- 08/17/14 - Watch--Elanco Is Becoming the Monsanto of the Animal Drug Industry
- 08/17/14 - Trees Help Reduce Air Pollution and Your Risk of Dying
- 08/15/14 - People’s Climate Mobilisation: A Global Invitation
- 08/15/14 - How to Talk about Climate Change so People Will Listen
- 08/15/14 - Reversing Climate Change: Biodiversity for a Livable Climate
- 08/13/14 - Extreme Weather Conditions Doubled over Last Ten Years